Monday, October 17, 2011

In the beginning....207 days, 13 hours, 0 minutes and 27 secs left.

So...as the description has already stated, I'm your average 35 years old that has started to worry about my health and so as many of us do, I've set myself a goal that probably is a bit...no...alot beyond my station.

This goal is to complete a Tough Mudder event in May 2012 which gives me 207 days 12 hours 59 minutes and 21 seconds left to train for this self inflicted challenge.

What is a Tough Mudder?



It is a 10-12 mile obstacle course designed by Special Forces to test all around strength, stamina, mental grit and camaraderie. Forget finish times. Simply completing a Tough Mudder is a badge of honour.

If you want to know more and see videos of previous events click the link below (I can reccomend some of the electroshock therapy ones on you tube):

http://toughmudder.co.uk/

Some of the obstacles involve the following: Crawling through stinging nettles, dunks/swimming in ice cold water, Log carrys, running through fire, berlin walls and getting electoshock therapy (10'000 volts)

Click the link below to see the map of the hellish course that I'm going to expose myself to:

http://toughmudder.co.uk/events/south-eastmidlands/south-east-midlands-2012-course-map/

Also check out the link below of this ober hardcore 45 year old training for TM:

This guy is my hero!

Needless to say I will need to be in better shape than I currently am, which brings me to my current unfitness level...

I don't run as I have legs like a pigmy hippo and a stomach to match... I gave up smoking for my 35th birthday (Although I will have a big hannibal smith cigar after finishing this run!)
Whilst standing over the grave of my old friend Nic Otine I found my 2nd and 3rd best friends (beer and junk food) consuming alot more of my time. So much so infact that after one bargin bucket session, washed down with a tasty beverage of course, I looked down to find that not only could I not see my belt but I couldn't see most of my feet either.

This triggered me to join the gym and make a stand against the middle aged spread that continued to use me as it's host. I must admit for the first time in a long time I started to feel physically stronger but.....the cardio was not good people...not good at all.

Then a friend posted on facebook "This tough mudder event looks awesome!, who's in?" and that is where this all started...............thanks Walker!!

The reason for this blog is for me to document my training over the coming months and to share the techniques, tools and hopefully the achievements that I make in order to reach my fitness goals.

I have been training for just over a month now and I will post up the sessions that I've been doing later in the month as I think that this blog is long enough for an introduction as it is.

207 days 12 hours 24minutes and 16 seconds to go....

No comments:

Post a Comment