Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The measures taken so far...

O.K, as previously mentioned I've been training for a month so below I've listed what exercises I have been doing:

Week 1 - Morning - Swimming

All lengths carried out as fast as possible (breaststroke)

4 lengths.
Rest for one minute.
2 lengths .
Rest for a minute.
2 lengths.

Week 1 - Afternoon - Cardio.

10 minutes - Crosstrainer (1 minute intervals of rise and drop)
5 minutes - Bike (1 minute intervals of rise and drop)
5 minutes - Rowing machine.

Week 1 - Evening - Running.

5k runs on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. (post run stretches)
Assault course in Wendover on Sunday.

This is where I found out that running in cheap trainers from Asda was not a great idea.
After the run on Sunday I felt some pains in my knees/ankles and shins so I popped some Nurofen and went to sleep, the next morning I awoke to feeling as if my shins had been hit with a lump hammer! Yup, shin splints!

Needless to say high impact exercise was now out of the question for a week so I maintained the swimming and cardio but no running for the next week.

Week 2 - Morning - Swimming

All lengths as carried out as fast as I can (breaststroke)

4 lengths.
Rest for one minute.
3 lengths .
Rest for a minute.
2 lengths.

Week 2 - Afternoon - Weights (Tuesday and Thursday)/Cardio

Bench 3 sets 8-10 reps.
Pec deck - 3 sets - 8 -10 reps
Chin ups 3 sets reps  - 8-8-6.
Shoulder press - 3 sets - 8-10 reps.
Russian twists - 3 sets - 15 reps

10 minutes - Crosstrainer (1 minute intervals)
5 minutes - Bike.
5 minutes - Rowing machine.

Powerplate stretches.

On the advise of Mr Winston I went and had a gait analysis carried out on my running style at "Up and Running" in Aylesbury and the girl in there was vert helpful and knew her stuff and after 15 minutes of trying on various trainers for a mild to moderate over pronaters I settled on some Mizuno Wave Inspire 7.




I waited a week and then went for a 2 mile run in them, although still painful the difference was like night and day, I only wish that I had started running in them initially then I could have avoided the downtime in training, but we live and learn huh?

It looks like I'm not going to be able to run again until around end of October beginning of November after seeing the doctor so I needed something to help keep the cardio up and burn fat to lose this mammoth tyre that it still growing around my midriff and so enters "Insainity workout"

These were recommended to me by fellow Tough mudder trainee Dan who plays football quite alot and insisted that running all the time will do more harm that good with shin splints, so we have now chosen to do these workouts at lunch times down the gym.

Boy are these workout tough?! yes...yes they are.
They're pretty constant for the whole duration and by the end of the DVD you are properly dripping in pools of DNA (by this I mean sweat!)

So Weeks 3 and 4 have been as follows:

Week 3/4 - Morning - Swimming - (Monday - Friday)

6 lengths
30 second rest
4 lengths
30 seconds rest
2 lengths

Afternoon (Tuesday - Friday) - Cardio - Plyometric - Resisitance - Recovery.

Insainity workout DVDs

Monday is an MMA training session with the following curcuit:

Weighted (10kg) squat walk to 50m
Lunge twists (8kg med ball) 50m
30 seconds all out on the heavy bag
30 seconds rest
30 seconds all out on the heavy bag
20 TM pushups 5kg dumbells
50 Jabs
45 seconds log jumps
50 Crosses
30 seconds rest
10 kg bag rolls 100m
25 body shots (each side)
25 Jump squats (10kg bag)
60 seconds kettle bell swings (10kg)
Stretches

I'm looking to have some pyhsio on my achilles within the next couple of weeks and I'm also going to buy some compression socks to aid with recovery and get me back in a fit state to start running again.

Overall so far I've noticed an increase in my cardio recovery rate but I feel that distance running is quite a way off, although my legs are definitely stronger I need to work on strengthening my tendons and surrounding muscles.

More flexiblity is also required, running on slippery mud could cause alot of extensions of the muscles and joints to occur and cause injury on the day so the more supple the better.

My aim is to be able to run 6 miles without stopping by Jan 2012 and slowly increase the distance during spring. If I can run 8 miles straight come May I'll be happy but for the time being I will continue to work on overall cardio and explosive power.

206 days 22 hours 59 minutes and 50 seconds to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment